After my recuperation from a mild heart attack (due to non-inclusion of some of the heavy favorites), I have decided to get my ass off my couch and pen my thoughts about this year's Miss Earth Pageant.
Well, I do like the stage (reminiscent of the Parthenon). It's so grand that it made the Miss Universe stage looking like a school stage play! I didn't rave too much about the stairs though, because it was seemingly an ordeal for the girls to sashay around the stage. Thank God, no one tripped, unlike last year (remember Miss Malaysia?). I love the magnificent view of the stage on TV. The lighting leaves much to be desired though.... another thing is, the venue of this year's pageant is something I don't approve of, seeing the situation last Sunday night made me love the UP theater. The reason is because I do love to see a large audience in attendance to cheer for their respective delegates, the impact coming from a large crowd makes a pageant more thrilling and exciting and I guess this is one factor lacking in this year's finale. The area accomodated 1,000 people and I tell you it's boring!!
Comparing this year's show to last year's...well I guess the 2005 Edition is a yard better. This year's pageant is just fine. It lacked something (I wouldn't elaborate on this, cuz I have said this above). One thing I like about this year's production is that it ran fast, there was no sense of boredom felt and how could I forget the opening number of the girls, dancing in the tune of Hotdog's "Manila" was extremely entertaining, the choreography was excellent and the dresses were tip top great! The Introduction of the delegates was fine though it needed more polishing. Last year's was better, but I love the scenic backgrounds where the girls stood as they introduced themselves. Alexandra in her introduction was totally heart melting, im not so sure with the adjective I used, but believe me, looking at Alex by the Manila Bay sent shivers up my spine!
Days prior to the final night, I have been fervently praying, hoping, and wishing (or whatever you call it), that Ariel Ureta would not host the event! I guess he's the major reason why I had my heart attack, because aside from his aging look, he committed so much mistakes all throughout the night that made the pageant look blah (I won't use the word cheap) I swear, I could host a pageant better than him! anyway these are the 3 things I HATE about the male host:
1. Calling the semi-finalists in quick succession without giving the girls the time to pose on their spot, thus making the camera zooming a mess! gawd!
2. For his dirty antics, should he always emphasize that he loves swimsuits as if he was salivating! once is enough, but twice is not good. I do admire his manner of trying to look cool by injecting humor but I'm sorry it didn't connect with me, I was like "HUH" with his remarks all the time!
3. His OLD looks, Im sorry to be mean but the organizers should get a younger, energetic and gorgeous male host next year! perhaps they could hire a FilAm actor to host the proceedings!
Priscilla Meirelles, on the other hand was struggling with her english but despite of that, her heavenly pulchritude compensated it all...at least she was able to connect with the audience through her charm! Ginger Conejero should have been given most of the spiel airtime, she was flawless that night, great voice and beautiful face!
I certainly have no qualms and quibbles about the semi-finalists, and this is one good part of the Miss Earth Pageant, the semi-final line-up consisted of great beauties, SPAIN and BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA were the surprise though but I didn't care because they have what it takes to be up there! BAHAMAS has always been in my list, and I'm so glad that she made it! ST. LUCIA is one of my darkhorse girls and I was thrilled for her inclusion! I was also expecting FRANCE another stunning girl, to make it! SLOVAK REPUBLIC was every inch a hottie, she's got the best legs in my opinion, but she lacked sizzle during the swimsuit round that cost her a top 8 spot! USA well, this girl should have let her hair down, her attempt of looking 3 inches taller by sporting that hairdo didn't help at all, plus I think seeing her makes me think that Chelsea is indeed sexy! but nevertheless I still love Amanda Pennekamp, her megawatt smile just illuminated the mediocre lighting of the stage, lol...CHINA joins the list of cute asian girls that made the semi-finals of Miss Earth, Radchadwan Khampeng in 2004, Hae Mae Yu in 2005 and now she made the Chinky eyed population proud! I believe China deserves this placement because this country has been sending stunning girls since 2003 and finally they got in!
THE TOP 8:
* EGYPT made another historical breakthrough in the pageant world courtesy of Meriam George, she made the Arab people so happy back in her homeland (in fact negotiations of broadcasting the pageant is on going) her swimsuit performance was good, her evening gown presentation was memorable and above all she's the msot charming of the 8.
* CZECH REPUBLIC Good thing and the Czech National director opted to switch from Miroslava Kostanova to this girl, Petra Soukopova arrived in Manila looking so gorgeous! her delicate and soft beauty is so mesmerizing! her performances at the competition was O.K. though!
* POLAND Francys Sudnicka just sealed the deal that Poland is a powerhouse country in Miss Earth, I believe this girl gave the best Swimsuit presentation, she was smoking on stage, the gown performance was full of flair and elegance, she just scored low in the interview round, but otherwise, Francys could have made it to Top 4.
* PANAMA I have been waitng for this opportunity to talk about this girl, I got so puzzled by her that night especially in the evening gown round. Stefanie de Roux started the night electrifyingly, I have seen the confidence and energy that was mounting, she was full of smiles when chosen as one of the top 8, did good in the interview segment(though I started noticing the discomfort) but what happened in the Evening gown competition? She appeared on stage with that infamous look, she barely didn't smile at all, she didn't even do that quarter turn as she went out of the gargantuan door, she descended the stairs looking tired, bored and perhaps angry..I saw a hint of a forced smile within a second then further finished her stint with that look!
Now here are my theories as to why she looked that way:
1. Most insiders say that she had a fabulous gown prepared for the evening gown segment, but she allegedly could not find it and there aroused suspicion that someone stole it.
2. She might have a little fight with her make-up artist, maybe she didn't agree with the shades or color that could have been applied on her face.
3. She might have received a bad news from her relatives back in her country, it could be death of a close relative or perhaps she might have lost a starring role in her theater assignment due to her job of representing the country abroad.
In my opinion she should have fought it till the end, she should have set aside the emotions that arose that point in her life, it was a crucial part cuz a top 4 placement was at hand but eventually she blew her chances off with that "LOOK in her face", seeing her made me think that a smile can make wonders! well whatever reason she might have, I think we should respect it and give props to her for representing her country so well, finally Panama made it this time!
Miss Fire (3rd runner-up) - VENEZUELA, Marianne Puglia- Everytime I got disturbed by that look in Stefanie's ( Miss Poland ) face, I just think of this girl as just extremely the opposite. Marianne showed so much persomality, smiled authentically, was a fountain of happiness and showed that she was enjoying the moment! Her Best in swimsuit award is agreeable, because she has a smoking hot body figure to consider. Her gown was simple and yet an elegant piece that was carried perfectly. Her answer to the final question was good though it missed some vital components to make it complete, but she was on fire thus ending with an element!
Miss Water (2nd runner-up) - PHILIPPINES, Catherine Untalan- She gave a really good performance though I can really see that she was trying to be Miriam Quiambao. The gown, honestly didn't flatter her statuesque height but she picked it up with a classy walk! She nailed the interview but for a regular viewer, one would wonder what she was talking about. She didn't elaborate her answer on that "Kyoto Protocol" she mentioned thus making her answer sound superficial! She made the Philippines proud though!
Miss Air (1st runner-up) - INDIA, Amruta Patki- She was my personal choice for the top plum. I have been rooting for her from beginning to end, beside Miss Venezuela. She also showed so much enthusiasm that made the people watching love her. She has a lean and tall physique, and has a really fantastic Evening gown hence the Best Evening Gown award she received earlier in the show! Her answer in the interview was there and she delivered all the goods expected of her! IT's a great showing for India for this pageant! clap clap clap!
Miss EARTH 2006 - CHILE, Hil Hernandez- Now I can see why she won, she has such an exceptional beauty that is reminiscent of Aishwarya Rai, Sushmita Sen and Dayanara Torres combined! She gave a great swimsuit presentation. Her evening gown presentation was really a sight to behold. I loved the way she sashayed on the stage looking like a goddess! I have nothing more to say because just by looking at her, says it all!
Great job for Chile, now I wonder if the site of next year's pageant will be in Santiago. Let's hope that by that time, everything is all set for the Miss Earth 2007, see you next year!!
This page hosted by Veestarz.com